Monday, August 21, 2006

Little girls and tea parties

This morning Alicia told me she would like to have "tea" with me. So I poured her a cup of "tea" in her favorite little teacup. It is a yellow flowered teacup that has a butterfly on it for a handle. What she was really drinking was apple cider...while I had a cup of coffee. Last week she had a little friend over and they played dress up. They both dressed in gowns out of Alicia's dress-up box and wore tiaras on their heads. They got out the tea set and had "tea" out on the front porch together...(that day the "tea" was really water).

What is it about little girls and tea (or big girls for that matter)? Here is a picture of my mother having "tea" with her sister and cousin in about 1938. (Mom is the little blond girl and Aunt Margie is to her right)

10 comments:

Shelly said...

I just love old pix and the stories and memories that go with them. Did you take a picture of Alicia having tea?? It would be so cute to have the two pictures together...

Shelly said...

sorry... I suppose I have a one track mind and it probably bores everyone to tears!

Jessi occassionally plays tea... but I never did that stuff. I was too busy climbing trees, riding my mini bike, or playing softball. I never liked the 'pink isle' at the toy store! And so maybe my girls have missed out cuz of that!!

Martha said...

My girls, like myself, have always loved tea parties. Just to put on a fancy hat and some long white gloves and sip some "tea" was a wonderful thing.

Bethany said...

Ah yes, tea in the garden. What fond memories. Long, white, lacy dresses, silk gloves, a lovely hat of some type and a cup of tea. A perfect afternoon.


(PS Mom, you should send me the picture!)

Tracy said...

Martha and Priscilla, will you please email me at techi67@yahoo.com? I have a question for you. Thanks.

I don't think that I had any proper tea parties as a little girl, complete with dress up. I DID however have a "tea friend" who was a friend of my mom's who liked tea. Whenever she came to visit, Lennie and I would have tea. But my mom did not have any. Thus, Lennie was my tea friend. :o)
My mom and I went to the Empress Hotel in Victoria BC and had high tea once. It was really nice.

Rachel said...

My boys were never into tea parties. We have had numerous days playing Legos and cars though.

Rachel said...

By the way, mom sure was an adorable little girl, wasn't she?

Priscilla said...

Shelly,
I didn't take a picture of Alicia.

Tracy, an email is on the way!

Rach, Mom looked so cute!

Shelly said...

I'm sure there will be more tea-parties to come - so next time! :)

Priscilla said...

I love hot tea too!