Friday, August 11, 2006

Back to the Basics

Yesterday I took the kids to the dentist. There was a mennonite boy waiting in the lobby for members of his family to come out of the examining room. He had a hat similar to the one shown here...except that the mennonite men and boys in our area wear black straw hats without a ribbon. He observed my children quietly. I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking. I watched as the family came out...two women in dresses and caps...holding a baby and another boy about aged 8. They sat in the waiting room for awhile...quietly chatting in their Pennsylvania Dutch. After speaking to the dentist, they left without fanfare...probably to resume activities at their farm on a dirt backroad. I couldn't help but envy them a little for their simple livestyles. They are hardworking citizens of our community and quiet...they aren't distracted by computers, television and the technology of today. They rise up with the sun and go to bed at its setting. I was looking at this boy and thinking he probably works hard on his family's farm...while I can barely get my children to do a sink full of dishes without a fight.

I returned home and began the busy task of fixing dinner. I had the kids each pick up 10 things to help straighten out the house. I felt myself getting frustrated at seeing so much stuff. Toys and gadgets everywhere. Too much stuff! I thought again about that Mennonite family and wondered what their house looks like. I'm sure they have far fewer things. The basics. Instead of sitting on the computer in their spare time...they play a game of checkers or write a letter to a relative in Pennsylvania or Indiana. I often long for a simpler lifestye. Sometimes I imagine getting rid of everything extra, selling the house and moving to a log cabin and living off the land. I probably wouldn't last 2 weeks...but its a dream just the same. And then in the next moment I catch myself wanting things. A new camera with all the gadgets to download pictures quickly. New living room furniture. Siding for the house and new porches. A nicer car (no rust!!!). A new pair of black dress shoes. Art classes. The list never seems to end.

I woke up in the middle of the night worrying. Our front porch is literally falling off the house and needs to be rebuilt. How are we going to afford that? Should I just get a job and give up the painting? God, will you help me learn more business savy so I can be more successful? Our health insurance is dropping Jamie and I as of September 1st. What are we going to do? How can I get a job and still take care of our home and children? I won't take them to daycare!...

This morning I found myself going over the same things and thinking about the Mennonites. I felt short-tempered and frustrated. "I've got to get back the the basics," I thought as I grabbed my Bible...which had lain neglected for a few days. "God, what are you trying to teach me? What am I doing wrong?" I opened to the following passage:

Colossians 3:1-3
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

Lord, Help me to set my mind on things above, not on earthly things. Help me to do what you have called me to do and be content with what you have blessed me with. Forgive me for being frustrated and angry and worried. I know you promise to take care of my needs. Amen

8 comments:

Bethany said...

How good is it to know that we are in God's hand. I often long for a simpler life also. But I always seem to romantisize that type of life. To live simpler, one also has to work harder. And how willing are we to actually get our hands dirty day after day, and not have thse gadgets and things that we get so attatched to?

I don't know if I'm really all that willing. It's kinda convicting.

Shelly said...

I think we can ALL relate to this battle!!! Thanks for such an open/honest post and for the reminder to set my mind on things above.

Ruth said...

Priscilla - what an absolutely brillian post - I completely relate to what you are saying too - I feel like so many things are falling apart around me too - and yet I need to keep my mind on the things above.

I've always wondered about the mennonites too - so that was interesting. Thanks.

(I'm glad you use your computer!)

Martha said...

Simplicity... where has it gone? I often wish also that i knew how to unclutter my life and home (especially my home, because my life seems fairly simple). How do I clear it our and keep it free of distracions? I think it is a constant battle as the world and it's "trappings" beckon us.

Anonymous said...

Martha you het the key...Trap.

Adam

Rachel said...

We once again just returned from PA, so I have also recently seen Almish. I too always think about their simplicity when I see them, although I'm not so sure I want that. Dave and I(on the trip down) were just talking about how spoiled we are. "We" meaning not just us, but most of those we know. My sister in law recently sent us an email about thankfulness, with photos reminding us of the poverty some people experience. It does make you feel guilty.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the reminder that life doesn't have to be as complicated as we make it. Our complicated lives are really often a choice, at least mine is.

Priscilla said...

Rachel, I wouldn't want to trade places with the Amish either...but the Mennonites I wouldn't mind so much.

Ruth, are their Mennonites in Australia?

Adam, Hi!

Tracy, I agree.