Monday, August 07, 2006

Hot Dogs and New Sneakers


My two older children went camping overnight with a family from our church. This family conveniently has a boy my son's age and a girl my daughter's age. This left Alicia as an only child again. She and I walked downtown to Ken's Hotdog Stand for lunch. I was going to grab my camera to document this...but I forgot it. Anyway...as usual, Zweigle's makes a good hotdog. If you've never heard of them it's because Zweigle's is a local brand. Rochester does have a few gems other than Kodak film.

We took advantage of the fact that we left the dog home and browsed in some shops before heading over to Murphy's garage to pick up the minivan that was being inspected. (it passed!) This evening Jamie was out golfing, so it was just the two of us for dinner. Alicia wants fish...she gets fish! Being an only child does have its advantages.

We then headed over to the Finger Lakes Outlet Center to buy Alicia a new pair of sneakers (tennis shoes for you foreigners). It's so exciting to get new sneakers as a kid (or as an adult come to think of it). Don't you remember feeling like you could run so much faster and jump so much higher with new sneakers on? And they are so clean!!!

Jamie's sister, Linda lives right near the Outlet Center so we surprised her with a visit. I think we really made her day! Surprise visits are cool. I don't get many. These days everyone is afraid of imposing. Everyone calls ahead. When I was a kid, it seemed like we always had drop in visitors. I don't remember too many people calling ahead. They just dropped in and my mother would make some coffee and sit and talk with them for hours. Of course...we were almost always home. I'm almost always home too, but no one drops by. I've been feeling a bit lonely and wish someone would just drop by. I'll put the coffee on!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I haven't been to the outlet mall in ages, I think I "need" to go!

I guess I like to call ahead before I go places so I know for sure if someone will be there when I get there.

Bethany said...

Hmmm... If I happen to be in your area sometime, I'll have to stop by!

Martha said...

If I lived a little closer, I would pop in for a visit often.

Anonymous said...

I pop by for a vist every day!

Anonymous said...

what's a vist?