Wednesday, June 14, 2006

English words?

Australia and the United States are "two countries separated by a common language." That is what my friend Colin used to say while he was living here in the U.S. He is from Queensland. He and his wife, Ruth lived here for a year while they interned at our church. I remember toward the end of the year I was sitting with him at a picnic table listening to our children play together. I marvelled that his older son...who had been enrolled in American Kindergarten for the duration of their stay had no trace of an Australian accent. I mentioned this to Colin and he said, "He's actually bilingual." Apparently when the kid was home with them or speaking with relatives on the phone, he could speak in a perfect Australian accent.

Anyway...because of blogging I have learned several Australian words.
capsicum=chile pepper or pepper
boiled lollies=hard candy
petrol=gasoline
tram=stroller
trolley=grocery cart
footy=some sport played there. I guess it's a combination of soccer and American football?
jelly=jello or gelatin
college=some place people go to study before they go to university?
university=college or university

I'm sure I'll learn more.

12 comments:

Priscilla said...

chips=fries in Canada too

Ruth said...

it's not 'trams' for strollers Priscilla - but 'prams'...although we also have strollers!!

Apart from that I love the list. It is a big learning curve!!

Ruth said...

bandaids - are 'sticking plasters' in English books....I don't know what you guys call them

Rockmelon has a different name in the U.S....but I can't remember it.

Also our 'devon' I think is 'baloney' or something???

Priscilla said...

You are right! It IS prams! I kept looking at that word "trams" and it just didn't seem like the right one...but I couldn't think of it so I just went with it!

Priscilla said...

Bandaids=bandaids here in the states!

Priscilla said...

rockmelon=cantaloupe

Priscilla said...

All I'm getting for Devon is that it is a large county in the U.K.

Priscilla said...

Well...bye for now. I am not off to Adventure Club...I am off to bed!

Priscilla said...

Before I turn in...everyone who tunes in here must go to Ruth's blog to see what she posted about language (and it's comments).

Thank you for the ammusing conversation Ruth and Nixter. I feel like we have instant messaging here!

Really going to bed now!

The Borg said...

He he he. I am "bilingual" too! My dad says "cantaloupe" "peppers" etc and we tease him about it.

James Austin said...

You're beauty, mate!

I like to eat grubs.

Chris said...

Pris, I did write a blog about that, it's here.