Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Burnt Coffee and Soiled Diapers

Today I babysat a 4 year old (Sophie) and a 21 month old (Hallie) for a friend while she had an appointment for a couple of hours. I forgot how much work it all involves! I went to go heat up a small pan of coffee on my stove when I was distracted by Sophie who wanted to try out the tricycle. I forgot about the coffee and ended up pushing her on the swing and keeping her little sister from running in front of it. I had to dig out my baby gate to keep Hallie from climbing the stairs...and I had to move all my paintbrushes to higher ground. Meanwhile back out at the swings...we tried out the slide and the monkey bars. I was getting tired and Sophie said she was hungry so back to the house we went...where I discovered that my coffee was burnt! The entire house smells like burnt coffee and kind of a "melted plasticky smell"-I believe from the handle of the coffee maker. Peeeuh!! I grabbed the coffee maker off the burner...making the discovery that the handle was waaaaayyy hot. I dropped the coffee pot on the floor and so burnt coffee was all over. Grabbed Hallie so she wouldn't step in it...while telling Sophie to get back. Cleaned up the mess and started to get them lunch. I had very little food that actually appealed to the girls. I gave them little pieces of cheese and bread and juice and started hunting for some fruit while Sophie attempted to butter her own bread while I wasn't paying attention. I was scraping most of the butter off her bread (she had put quite a bit on) when their mother came.

They are just beautiful little girls! They look like they should be clothing models because they look so perfect. Anyway...I am exhausted!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, sounds like you've had a busy day! It's amazing how quickly we get used to the older ages of our kids, and then the younger age just seems like so much work.

Martha said...

Hey, that's funny. But only because it wasn't me. I remember plenty of days like those. One day I wnet to get Joe from his nap when he was about a year and a half old. I found him sitting on the dresser with his little legs dangling over the side, the lamp crumpled on the floor, and baby powder everywhere. He had "dusted" the entire room!

Anonymous said...

yicks!