Monday, July 17, 2006

Weekend on Long Island


This past weekend Jamie and I went to our nephew's wedding (J's brother's son) on Long Island. The bride's parents are very wealthy and put on one of the biggest, splashiest weddings I have ever seen in my life. It took place at this castle pictured here. There are no words to even describe it for you...so I'm not going to try very hard. Suffice it to say that it seemed like something out of a movie. Just when I thought I had seen it all, there was even more to be oohed and ahhed by.

Our children stayed at my sister Martha's house. When I arrived there tonight to pick them up, my sister and brother-in-law asked, "Well...how was it?" They were curious to find out (who wouldn't be curious about a place that charges $300 a plate?) I tried my best to describe the vast array of fine foods, the floral arrangement, the cake, the wait staff...how our napkins were refolded for us everytime we walked away from our table...about the bathroom attendent who's full time job it seemed was to mop up any water spots on the counter around the sinks...and on and on and on!!! I said, "I've never attended any wedding like it before and probably never will again." This is when my brother-in-law said, "No...but you will someday go to a wedding that's much fancier and nicer." I looked at him curiously...and he said, "The marriage feast of the Lamb!" I gasped! Wow, I had never thought of that!

This is just a totally amazing concept for me now! During the wedding this past weekend, I felt strangely out of place. I knew that I really wasn't dressed appropriately for the wedding...but I wore what I had in my closet. I don't have the money to go out and buy an expensive gown. I knew I would need to make do with what I had. I will say that I was not treated poorly because of how I was dressed. The service was excellent in spite of my obvious lower economical stature. But I got to thinking about this upcoming marriage feast...the one I hope you'll be at too. You will if you know Jesus Christ as your savior. Anyway...I will be clothed with garments of righteousness! Whiter than snow! Even better...I will not be just attending...as part of the church, I will be his bride!

Hope to see you there!

10 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll be there!!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelly said...

I'll be there too. :) I can't wait!!!

Chris said...

You do have to wonder how many courses Jesus is going to put on at the banquet. I mean, the guy did say that he wasn't going to taste wine until the kingdom comes, so I imagine he'll be pretty anxious to party.

Is that how it goes, or is that inappropriate? Either way, I'm starting to drool over the thought. I think I'll go find some cheese.

Martha said...

What a day that will be! (Almost makes me want to burst into song...)

James Austin said...

Did you do any networking at this wedding? Meet any famous people? Get any commissions?

Priscilla said...

I didn't notice any famous people. No networking. I was there having fun (and being amazed).

I forgot to mention the trumpeters who greeted us at the gate as we arrived.

Tracy said...

Wow! What an amazing illustration. Even the fact that you were underdressed. I would have felt just the same, very out of place. But at the great wedding feast, we will not be dressed in our own fancy gowns, but in the robe of righteousness provided by our groom. We will enter as the awed guest, but honored as the bride. :o) Thanks for sharing.

Bethany said...

I'm so glad that I will not miss the greatest wedding feast of all time. I already have my invitation and my response card has been sent... We know this wedding will be bigger, better and more beautiful than any that have ever taken place here on earth. Wow, and to be the recipient of the Groom's love...

Priscilla said...

Yeah! I'm so excited about this!