Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Memories of YL

Today has been a fairly good day so far. I've been working on the cupboard I am painting roses on for a client. In between painting and allowing for drying time, I have been lurking around on the computer. I had a fun "conversation" with a stranger in New England who is a Young Life leader. Some of his blogs brought back great memories for me when I was a YL leader years ago. I really miss those days! I haven't set foot on a YL property in about 14 years. Great and happy memories and lots of laughing!

I think YL actually was a huge blessing from the Lord to me after I returned home from college in 1989. I was just getting over a major depression. I got involved with the ministry of YL which helped get my eyes off of myself and my broken heart and onto others and helping them. Not to mention all the laughing I did! Who could be depressed watching those silly program guys? I never laughed so hard in my life I think. Those Tuesday night dinners at the O'Leary's house and praying for club and kids, and then loading up in the van to go to club to hang out with a bunch of high school kids!

Life is good now too of course...but sometimes I miss those crazy, fun, laughing days. I still laugh...mostly at my children's antics. Yep. Life changes...but as I said earlier in the day, Jesus remains constant. Amen!

3 comments:

Martha said...

It's always good tobe able to the hand of the Lord in our lives. Hindsight is so much clearer than what is happening at the moment.Isn't God great for giving you something to laugh at when you so needed it?

Rachel said...

Yes, I remember those fun times too. I also remember the skits at the camps that were the less silly ones. They were extremely effective in getting the message of Christ's love and forgiveness across. There was tons of fun and sillyness mixed in with a fantastic message. We have Wild Life in Webster now (Young Life for Middle Schoolers) and I'm looking forward to Michael going with some of his friends next year. I would like Steven to go too, but he's not very social and I don't think he would understand their humor. We'll see what he wants to do.

Martha said...

Sad, by the time i heard about Young Life, I was not in the position of wanting to go. :(