Friday, February 17, 2006

The Blustery Day


If you read my sister's blog today, you already know that it was a very windy day here in upstate NY. It was so windy that I felt the house shaking. I went downstairs and asked my hubby if there was school today. He was already on the computer bright and early. He said, "Yes." The kids all moaned and groaned and got ready for school. I send them out to the bus stop. A few minutes later they were back inside because Mrs. Castle had called out her front door to them that school had been cancelled. There are a lot of walkers and I guess there was concern for their safetly. And for good reason. A HUGE pine tree blew down in the yard behind ours. It just looks like a big mass of pine boughs in a giant heap on the ground. Luckily it did not hit a house. After that I kept eyeing the pine tree next to our house. Praise the Lord that it stayed upright!
I put the picture of the fire up because that's what I felt like being near all day. I do not have a fireplace. Perhaps my next residence will...if I ever move again.
Audra is on the swim team here in town and she's turning out to be quite the little swimmer. She was supposed to go tonight and swim to see if she could make state's. I guess her time on the backstroke is close. Anyway...all swim events have been cancelled. It's too bad because it is now 5:30 PM and the wind is completely gone. It looks very still out there. Now we have to have her at the high school at 8:00 in the morning to do this swim thing. I guess I won't be sleeping in in the morning.

6 comments:

taryn said...

WOW! School cancelled due to windyness? I can't say that has ever happened in our small town of Morton. Although... we've definitely gotten our share of tornadoes. :) Sounds like your daughter is pretty good at swimming!

Priscilla said...

Well...I had never heard of it either. I guess there's a first for everything.

Rachel said...

Wow, we missed a good windy day, huh? We were driving all the way to Florida yesterday, a LONG drive! We left at 10:40 Thursday night and got here at 9:30 last night.

Martha said...

It was a "Winnie the Pooh" kind of day. Definitely a "Windsday".

Bethany said...

Did you make it to the high school on Saturday? It was a pretty snowy morning on Rt 104... no a good morning for driving. And did Audra make it to the finals?

Priscilla said...

Beth, It was quite snowy...but she made it there. She did very well this morning...but did not quite make the required time for state's. We're very proud of her either way!
Rach, I keep checking your blog for something new. Have fun in Florida!