Saturday, February 25, 2006

Memories From My Childhood

I had fun reading the 13 memories that my 2 sisters came up with...some of them made me laugh. You can check them out on Martha's blog. (Rachel's is in the comments) This will be hard because they took a lot of the good ones.

1. Martha and I sharing a room in the former attic and inventing a ghost friend named George. If we heard a strange creeky noise...we would say, "Oh...it's just George." (Later I shared the room with Rachel. He was still around)
2. Rachel rescuing me from Walter every morning on the bus (ok...it was high school...but anyway).
3. Throwing water balloons at Dan from the roof (and paying for it dearly).
4. Eavesdropping and tape recording Dan Muson on the phone.
5. George pouring the split pea soup into his loafers under the table (this was a hippo...not a ghost).
6. Making very long gum wrapper chains.
7. Playing in the mud...and mom letting us!
8. Playing 4-square every day.
9. Being tape recorded having a temper tantrum as a child (while singing "Jesus Loves Me" no less!) and having my family play that stupid tape for every soul that walked through the doors for the next 18 years! Thankfully that tape eventually wore out! (I'm not bitter about this, honest!)
10. Painting rocks. I believe this was the beginning of my "career" as a decorative artist.
11. Playing one of our favorite games with Dad. "The guessing Game"
12. Playing "The Queen is Coming"-a game my mother invented to get us to clean the house. It actually was fun and we sometimes asked to play it.
13. Back Yard Bible Clubs where our driveway would be packed with bikes from kids all over the neighborhood...and those ladies would come with their flannel boards and Bible songs! I loved holding the signs for the songs and I still have my prize for memorizing the books of the Bible in order (a metal ruler with the names of the books printed on it).
14. Gerbil population explosion!

Ok..It was 14, but I couldn't stop. Martha-please scan and send a picture of our childhood to me. I really want to put a picture with this.

3 comments:

Martha said...

I will do my best with the pictures, but I need to find some first. Oh, by the way, I still have the beloved tape. If you aren't nice to me, I just might dig it up and have it published.

Martha said...

I'm just kidding about the tape, of course. I had fun remembering too, and what you and Rachel wrote also made me laugh. I wonder what kind of things our kids will remember...

Rachel said...

Yes! Great memories! I almost forgot about 4 square. All the kids on the street would play, that's what made it so fun. Also, remember playing jump rope with the McClintons at night, the big barrels that we used to stand on and roll down the street, bike rides to the Lake and back with Adam, and "How about some Mad Libs" with Harold Bean? Also, remember the old beetle car that was in our backyard for a while that we played in, and when Dan threw a dart through the canvas of our pop up camper. I could go on and on.