Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Peace that transcends all understanding

By now I am sure most of you have heard that my father has terminal lung cancer. I thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I have taken a leave of absence from school for the semester. Several times this week I came to my blog...but just couldn't manage to put into words all of my thoughts and feelings.

He is home now and is doing pretty well. He does not seem any different than he did before we knew...but we know now that there is cancer in his lungs that will take his life. However, the cancer cannot take away his eternal life! I had the privilege to spend over 24 hours with my parents yesterday and today. He is completely at peace about the entire thing. His peace spills over to the rest of us. I am amazed at the amount of scripture he has memorized. He quotes it often. I am thankful for my entire family and the love that is so evident!

7 comments:

Martha said...

Somehow I think we will learn more and be more abundantly blessed through this experience than we can begin to imagine. What an inspiration this couple has been, and still is, to so many. I am inexpressibly grateful to be their daughter.

judi/Gmj said...

I appreciate you and your common sense approach to death and dying. Must have got that from your dad. please give to him in like, ease his mind about what he leaves behind, gmj.

Stacy said...

Oh Priscilla.
I am lifting your family up in prayer. I am so amazed that God allowed me to meet your dad and that our paths crossed the way it did. He is such a delightful man. I am just trusting on God to lead you through this and I am praying as He leads.

Bethany said...

His peace is certainly very inspiring. I am looking forward to my day with them tomorrow.

PS I really like this photo.

Gudl said...

Dear Priscilla, you and your family are all in my thoughts and prayers, too. You all are a testimony to God's amazing grace. I continue to pray for HIS peace that goes beyond understanding. Your Dad KNOWS in his heart, that he is not home yet. We all are not home yet. One day we will be all together in eternity. That knowledge gives your parents peace. I hope one day I will react the same to a 'news' like that. I pray that your Dad will not be in pain. And that God will give him many more days than what the doctors think right now.

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry.

Dunja said...

I am sorry for the pain this causes all of you.My good friend past away from lung cancer and I can relate.Even though we all know that we are not Home on this earth and we know we will live on in HIS presence..we are human beings with fears and doubts as well.Lets not forget that.It is ok to feel that way.Hope or not hope and thank GOD WE have it.Noone knows how your dad feels or other people who have gotten such news! I will pray for you all and that God provides some comfort!