Monday, September 28, 2009

4/12/32-9/28/09

I woke up to thick clouds and gray sky. One of those days where you know it is just going to be drizzly rain all day long. Rachel called me and told me that I had better come right away. She said, "It's different today. He's not waking up and his fingers look gray." I left immediately. It's a 45 minute drive from my house to my parent's home. I got to Dad's bedside and held his hand and the tears rolled down my cheeks. I knew he was very close to death. I prayed that the Lord would come and take him. About fifteen minutes after I arrived, he slipped away from us. At that moment, the clouds parted and the sun shone down through the window and onto the bed where he lay. I honestly believe that it was a gift from God for us.
I had stayed over night on Saturday night and spent all day Sunday with him and Mom. Yesterday he seemed so tired. He told me that there was an entire parade of people waiting for him in heaven. He started naming them...but at the same time he was drifting in and out of sleep. I know he is having the most amazing reunion with so many friends and family who have gone before him.
He will be missed so much by us.

7 comments:

Gudl said...

Oh, Priscilla, that is so sad ... and so happy for him at the same time. I am glad you got time to spend with your Dad and you all were there when he went to heaven.
I am sorry for your loss, I know you all miss him so much.
I am praying that you have peace... you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that we were all with him when he took his last breath. I agree with you, that ray of sunshine was definitely a gift from God. I miss him so much already.

joeks said...

What a wonderful gift.

Hugs and prayers.

Martha said...

I'm still getting knots in my stomach. It's so hard to imagine we will ever get over his passing, but I know that time will bring healing and God's grace is with us. We are loved, all the time.

Ruth said...

What an amazing reunion indeed! God is so kind, and full of love. I will keep praying for you and your family.

kristina said...

I am sorry about your loss. I love you and am praying for your family. It is wonderful that your dad is in Heaven and you will all be reunited someday.

Jenny said...

I am so sorry for your loss.
The rays of sunlight were a fantastic blessing.