Wednesday, May 17, 2006

From the Mouth of Babes

So last night I'm putting my 2 daughters to bed. Audra says to me, "Mom...you kind of...well" she looks around nervously and giggles. "You kind of dress old fashioned." She told me in particular, my glasses were out of style (I was wearing the pair you see in my profile picture) She looked at Alicia for back up...and her little sister agreed. So...now I am hopelessly out of step and old fashioned. "Geeky" might have been the word I would have used as a teenager, but I suppose that word is out too.

The funny thing is, I remember thinking my mother was way out of step in a fashion sense on a few different occassions...particularly during my teen years. I remember thinking that I would never let myself be that way when I was a mother some day. *Sigh*

The above picture was just taken the other day on Mother's Day...in front of the house I grew up in. (that's one of my nephews in the window) I don't really care how out of style she is now. I'm just thankful that I have her as my mother...and I hope that I do as many things right while raising my children as she did while raising us.

10 comments:

Martha said...

You know, after a while you get so that you don't really care a whole lot about fashion. The way I see it, I could never keep up with fashions anyway and I'm not sure I even want to for that matter. They change faaster than I can sign the credit receipt!

Rachel said...

This blog made me laugh. I asked Michael, who was sitting nearby, if I dress "geeky". He said, "No, you just act like one." Nice, huh? He still wants me to come on his SeaBreeze field trip though. I guess I'll have to be really careful not to do anything "embarrassing". Last week when I was taking Steven to his orchestra concert at school, we were walking down the sidewalk when I noticed that his shirt was bunched up in one spot, so I started to fix it. I thought he was gonna die. He told me to "stop it" because I was "embarrassing" him, and he looked around to make sure no one saw. It really cracked me up because I never even thought about it when I did it, but I can remember being the same exact way at that age.

Shelly said...

Well... I don't think we stand a chance no matter WHAT we look like or HOW we dress! I was talking with a 21 year old the other day and I asked her if I was cool and she said, "Heck no!" I was a bit shocked and she went on to say, "Your a mother!" So... I guess the moment you become a mom -that's it! You have absolutely no hope of ever being cool again.

Rachel said...

That's hilarious!

Martha said...

Okay,... so I tried asking Ben and Hannah if I dress "geeky". Hannah shook her head "no" and Ben looked at me like I had some kind of problem and said "no". So then I ask them if I'm "cool". Hannah shrugs her shoulders and Ben says, "Moms aren't supposed to be cool."

Ahh, Nathan! Okay, so now I asked Nate. He got a funny smile on his face when I asked him Q #1 and said "Not for your age, no." So what does that mean? Q #2, he laughed and said, "Yeah."

Joe Fool said...

Heck, I'm geeky and I'm still 18. Joel says that I need to shopping with him at Hollister some day. I personally don't really care all that much.

James Austin said...

Just wear what you like.

Um... bnwntdh!

Bethany said...

No wonder my Mom said she felt "geeky" today...

ckjolly said...

I don't think it's old fashioned of geeky ... it's "mom"

taryn said...

What a sweet picture!