Monday, April 24, 2006

Springtime in PA

I'm back after a vacation to Pennsylvania. I went with my sister-in-law and children. The kids had off of school. Jamie did not come with us because he had to work. We stayed in Allentown and went over to Nazareth to tour the Martin Guitar factory. It was quite fascinating to see how they make such precision instruments.

The next day we took a tour of a handbell factory and then drove to Easton, PA where we took a tour of the Crayola Crayon Factory. The kids had a blast there. A lot of hands on things to do for kids. I would highly recommend it for very young and elementary aged children. We spent over 3 hours there.

The following day my brother-in-law Kevin met up with us and we went to the Mack Truck factory. I thougth it was fairly interesting and so did Kevin, Laurie and Allen...however, my 2 girls were not all that impressed. I was particularly amazed at how the Lord has allowed man to have such knowledge in order to know how to put together such big, powerful and technical machines. After we left there, we drove to Reading, PA to take a Pretzel Factory tour. When we got there, we were told that they no longer give tours. They suggested we drive to Lititz, PA and visit The Pretzel House. So that's what we did. The entire time I was there I was thinking and wondering about some friends of mine who happen to live in that town. It would have been fun to pay them a visit...but since it was unscheduled and a week day...I'm sure that they were busy...having work and school. (The PA schools were all in session) Not only that but my bro and sis-in-law don't know them. It would have been awkward I guess. I really liked the town. It was very quaint. I wanted to browse in the shops there...and I did a little but I got the feeling that no one else really wanted to.

The weather in PA was just beautiful! They are ahead of us in the Spring season by atleast a couple of weeks. All their tulips are in full bloom and the trees have bigger leaves. The next day we drove north to Bloomington, PA and spent the night at friends of Laurie and Kevins. They were really nice. By then the weather was just rainy and dreary. We ended up going to a mall and shopping a little and then just hanging at the house.

I will try to get some pictures up. I have pictures in my camera, but I don't have a way to download them to my computer unless I send them to work with my hubby...which I didn't think to do this morning. It was all so nice to get away...but what I really would like to do is get away with my husband. We just haven't done that in so long!

5 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds like a fun and educational week. Have you ever considered checking out the old Fisher Price place in East Aurora? I don't think they have a factory tour anymore but they do have a toy museum...

Rachel said...

I assume you were talking about my sister-in-law and brother-in-law in Lititz. Jo home schools, and I'm sure she would've loved for you guys to visit. We'll be going there the 1st weekend in May!
It sounds like you had a fun filled trip. What a gorgeous week to go. It was nice here too!

Bethany said...

Hey sounds like you had a great trip! It was a good week for excursions across the country. I also had a good vacation in Texas last week.

Shelly said...

WOW! You know how to pack it in!! I saw the Crayola Factory on Mr. Rogers once (I'm assuming it was Crayola!) and thought it looked really cool. But... my kids are probably getting beyond that - except maybe Jessi.

Priscilla said...

Julia,
I never went to that theater but my sis-in-law was talking about it.
Shelly,
Yeah...that was the Crayola on Mr Rogers. Actually...we didn't even go to the real factory...but they did make some crayons in front of us in one room.