Thursday, April 13, 2006

Scones Anyone?


My son has been working on an immigration project for school. He's in 5th grade. Each child was assigned a person to be. The kids had to come up with a story as to why they were immigrating to America, come up with a costume, pack a bag of 6 items with explanations as to why they were bringing each one and they had to bring an ethnic dish from the country they were immigrating from. Today they set up their classroom to be Ellis Island. My son was a poor textile worker from England, seeking a better life in America in 1880. I'm happy to say that he was allowed into the country!

The other day we went to Salvation Army Thrift shop and bought a vest and suit jacket. We went to a junk shop and bought a $2 American History book that was printed around the turn of the century. He also packed old English currency that he printed off the internet, an old family photo, a Bible, an English flag, and a snack of crackers to eat on the boat. Last night, I supervised while he made English Scones. They smelled wonderful...so I decided that I'd better make some for the family as well. He returned from school with almost all the scones. The kids liked them...but apparently there were "80 million things to eat." That's what he said anyway.

I guess we will be eating scones for a while. It's funny that I found this picture of blueberry scones on the internet...because that is the kind he made and they looked pretty much exactly like this! Yum!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That sounds like a fun and very educational project. Michael also did an immigration project this year.

Martha said...

Sounds like homeschooling to me. These are the fun kind of projects that make mom's moan because there is absolutely no way for the kid to do them alone, but they turn out to be fun anyway, wspecially when we get a good grade, right Rachel?

I had been wondering how the "poor Englishman" was doing.

Priscilla said...

He does not go to a private school. This time I did not moan. I thought it sounded fun right from the beginning. (Most involved assignments like this do make me moan though) Yes...he really likes school.

Anonymous said...

I like the shepard's pie they had at the immagration day party. Most kids stuck their noses up about it though.