Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Doesn't Anyone Sit on the Front Porch Anymore?


Lately I just haven't had much inspiration for writing. Some people are very gifted blog writers...just check out Christine's blog link to the right for example. I've had a lot of fun reading other people's blogs...which puzzles my husband. He walks by the computer and says something like, "Now what are you reading? Who's she?" I'll say something like, "A Christian stay-at-home-mom who lives out in California. Aren't her children just darling?" He'll shrug his shoulders and walk away...bewildered as to why I spend time reading and sometimes communicating with strangers. But I am equally puzzled by him spending time working on web sudukos. I just don't get it.

Anyway...here I am again. I guess I just feel this strong need to connect with people. Yesterday was wonderful connecting over lunch with Cathy. I get lonely here. And so I sit....alone...in a room...by myself...in front of a computer screen. Sometimes I long for the "old days." When most people's relatives all lived on the same street...and most mothers stayed home with their children. And not only that but most families just had one car...so you were basically home. There were no computers. No one called ahead before they visited. No one carried cell phones or pagers. People actually sat on their front porches.

I live in an older section of my town. Many beautiful, century old homes with big front porches...but rarely do people actually sit on them. I sat on mine yesterday...but the other porches on the street were empty. What's wrong with this picture? Where is everybody?

5 comments:

Martha said...

I miss my front porch because it was my favorite place to go after supper on a summer evening. I watched the cars and people go by and once in a great while someone would see me and stop to say hello. Now I have a back porch, which is nice too, but I can't see what is going on over at the Conner's house from back there. Maybe I should come over and sit on your front porch with you?

Yes, it is fun sometimes to read a complete stranger's blog. Sometimes they make me cry and sometimes I laugh hysterically. Christine has become a conversation piece (is that bad to say?) around here. She is funny and does a great job telling stories. Besides it's funny to watch James' expression as he wonders why in the world we care about the life and times of someone we don't even know.

taryn said...

Sometimes I become nostalgic for things like "sitting on the front porch." I almost wish I travel back 30-40 years when doing things like that wasn't such a rarity. This fast-paced world does anything but promote relaxing for an hour or so with family, friends, or neighbors after a good home-cooked supper. Most people these days don't even have time to grab supper at the McDonald's drive-through. Sad.

And I agree about reading people's blogs. I love it, too... what makes it so intriguing? I guess the way you put it- "a need to connect with people"- is a good explanation. Thanks for reading mine and commenting!

Unknown said...

HI PRISCILLA! Yes, we still use our front porch swing. Our former pastor and my husband built it about 20 years ago and we've enjoyed it ever since. It's so well made, it will be there when the house falls down.

If I lived where you do, I'd come sit on your front porch and we'd have tea and talk about any and everything.

Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment.

Have a blessed evening!

P.S. I'm not a very good writer but I too love looking at others.

Rachel said...

What a beautiful front porch that is! We sit on ours sometimes, but it's very small. I think our deck in our back yard is a lot nicer to sit on, it's quieter too. We have family dinners quite often in the summers on our deck.

Priscilla said...

Well...it is a beautiful porch. I wish I could say it is mine...but I'd be lying. I surfed the net and found it. It's a porch at a B&B up in Maine. But...it reminds me of the many beautiful porches in my town. It would fit right in.