Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Castles in the Wind

It's late and I shouldn't be blogging. I should be sleeping...or at the very least laying in bed, trying to go to sleep. But this time change is still not natural to me. I don't feel tired, therefore I must not be. Isn't that a famous saying?

I finished the castle I was constructing and my friend just loved it. I have no pictures of it at all. It was quite an adventure trying to get the castle to her. This morning I opened the back of my minivan...only to discover the castle would not fit! As I was struggling with it, in the wind, I might add (keep in mind this structure was made out of foam board), my friend, Blake pulled up in her SUV. "She will save the day!", I thought to myself. Sure enough, Blake offered to transport it for me...but not until later in the day, as she was late for a meeting and still needed to stop at the store and pick up a desert for brunch.

At 1:00 she faithfully returned. Much to our horror, we discovered that the castle would not fit in her SUV! Luckily, "All things Art" is not located far from my home( the drop off point). I decided I had no choice but to carry the thing all the way there. Luckily it is not heavy. So there I was, carting a large styrfoam castle down the side walk. I could imagine what my neighbors must be thinking. I saw my mailman, Dennis...who gave me the raised eyebrow. "Don't ask!" I called across the street to him. "I won't," he assured me. Just then a gust of wind came up and whipped the castle around, practically wrenching it from my hands. And then, the cloud came off! I had already rounded the corner onto Niagara Street. Could I make it another 2 blocks? I became very doubtful. Had I constructed this thing in vain?!

Oh, my dear friend Blake! What would I do without her? She had circled around to see how I was faring. Seeing that the structure was somewhat smaller now that it was missing the cloud, she pulled over to see if she could now be of some assistance. We tried again. It barely fit! I can still hear the squeaking of foamboard against glass as we put it in the back...with one of the castle towers hanging out the back of the doors, that were not quite shut. I got in with it to keep it from blowing out the doors. We drove sloooooowly and painfully to "All Things Art." Made it!

Several pieces of duck tape later, we were in good shape! It looked almost as good as new, and praise be to God that all the ladies there gushed over it! kathy said she would make sure I got a photo...which I will try to add to this post a.s.a.p. I just wish I had a picture me struggling with it in the wind!

3 comments:

Martha said...

And to think I almost missed reading this funny story. How could I have missed it this morning? Too funny! Were you able to sleep once you were done writing?

Priscilla said...

Yes.

Shelly said...

YIKES! That must have been one BIG castle! I can't imagine trying to carry it down the street much less in the wind. LOL. Thanks for the laugh and I'm so glad everyone liked it. I can't wait to see the picture! :)