Friday, September 01, 2006

Fall!


Last night, Jamie took inventory of everything the kids have and still need for school. He did all the school shopping this year-on line with Staples. It was all shipped to us via 3 different boxes last week. Shipping was free because our order for 3 kids was over $50! Today I told Audra to load up her back pack and we went over to the school to meet her teacher, Mr. Bambey and see the classroom. As soon as I set foot inside of that building, I noticed the smell. It doesn't smell bad...but it smells like the school. Probably a mixture of all the markers, pencils and papers in that place! You could tell excitemenet was in the air as kids filed in one by one to see the class and meet the teacher. School starts next Thursday and we are ready!

Lots of changes are in the air. It is definitely feeling cooler and I've noticed a few different changes in leaf coloring here and there. Allergies are at full hilt for me, which isn't fun...but I'll survive! On Wednesday the kids and I drove a couple of hours to meet up with our friends, the Falkes. Amy was saying that she finally is getting the hang of changing seasons. She grew up in Zaire as a missionary kid right on the equator. The weather there was pretty consistent all year round. She said when she first moved here, the change of seasons always caught her off guard and she didn't know what "fall stuff was." Now she has learned to appreciate pumpkins, crisp apples, cider mills, fall colors....school starting again!

I remember as a kid, we used to always take a drive in the fall to see the fall colors. (See picture above. I am on the far right) Quite often we would end up in the town of Naples. Naples seemed like it was hours and hours away from our house. Now that I am an adult, I live closer to Naples and it is actually the next school district over from us. But in any case, I remember driving down, getting food at Bob and Ruth's (a classic restaurant there that still exists today!), walking through the quaint shops, looking at the pioneer cemetery there...and even taking a wine tour once (but not being able to taste because I was a kid).

So we will be donning more sweaters and packing away the swimsuits and shorts soon...but I look forward to the new season and it's beauty!

9 comments:

Martha said...

Fall brings back some great memories. (Yes, it's still my favorite even though its followed by winter.)

Tracy said...

My, your hair was long back then.

I remember those colored jeans being popular in grade school. :o) I think that was the first fashion trend that I was aware of and participated in!! I remember how excited I was to receive my three pair (different colors) for Christmas one year.

Talk about being totally off the subject, huh?

Priscilla said...

Toughskins from Sears! My purple Toughskins were the best!!!

Martha said...

Yes, I loved my Toughskins too! I had a red pait with a "feet" patch sewn on the back, not that they had a hole or anything. It was just to dress the up a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Priscilla, You were way ahead of your time. You already had the baggy jeans hanging off your hips look! :o) LOL

Chris said...

I miss fresh apples! Especially from the Apple Farm in Victor, did you ever go there? Their apples are so crisp and tasty ... mmmm ... *drools*

Priscilla said...

Yes, I've gone to the apple farm. Two separate kindergarten field trips...and of course we've gone on our own. LaBarge Media made the video they show there. (Jamie works for LaBarge)

Tracy...I noticed that about my pants too! I think I was just too skinny and they wouldn't stay up. Should've tightened my belt. I have the same problem finding pants that fit my kids' skinny waists.

*sigh* I don't have that problem anymore!

Rachel said...

I wore ALL of the hand me downs since I was the youngest. I remember those red toughskins with the feet, Martha.

I LOVE autumn! We just returned from our last trip of summer though, and it was a little too cool to do what I like to do there. Oh well!

Bethany said...

I love that picture!