Monday, July 26, 2010

Robert Treman State Park-part 2

On the way down the gorge, we took the higher trail. What you see in the photo is the gorge trail that we hiked up. It is way way down there! I have a pretty good zoom lens on my camera so you really can't tell by the photo how far down it is.Here are Allen and Alicia reading....this sign.
I thought I saw a little orange plastic dinosaur on trail that a kid dropped...but discovered that it was a living creature. A newt. We saw 6 newts in all, a couple of snakes and a few chipmunks.
Allen holding a newt just to show you the size of it.
Looking down on the swimming hole. I remember coming to this swimming hole when I was a little girl. I was very impressed that my big brother, Dan could dive in. Somewhere, I know my mom has a picture of him diving in. I wish I had it. But I do have this one!This was taken at the swimming hole at Robert Treman State Park in the summer of 1970. I am the little girl in the blue. Martha is next to me and Mom is holding Rachel. That's Dan behind us.And here I am just 40 years later! Still wearing blue!
At the end of our hike, we had a picnic "lunch." I put quotes around it because by then it was 3:30 and we were starving! At that point I stopped taking pictures. I guess I was too hungry.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Dan did not dive into the pool at the bottom, it was pool at the top created temporarily by the flash flood earlier that year. At least that is how I remember it. Maybe we'll have to ask Mom and see if she remembers.

Priscilla said...

It must be deep enough to dive in at the bottom because there is a diving board. Does it matter?

Rachel said...

I wanna go there.

Martha said...

I think maybe he dove in both places, but the family picture is from the temporary pool at the top.

I love the picture you took from the higher trail. I'd like to go back there too. It would probably kill me to hike up the gorge though.