Sunday, August 31, 2008

Son of a Future Librarian

It has been a busy week. It was the last full week of summer before school starts for the kids. We took them to the New York State Fair on Thursday. Yesterday was the annual Crosswinds 5k...which we all took part in (ouch, I'm sore!), and last night was the ring of fire around Canandaigua Lake. I have been also busy doing school work. One of the courses I am taking is a Children's Literature course. This week I checked out every Caldecott Award winning book that was possible to check out from our library from the years between 1980 and present day. Caldecott Awards are meant to honor the artists who illustrated a particular book. So I have been reading some great picture books with wonderful illustrations like "Kitten's First Full Moon", "The Polar Express", and "Owl Moon." I must have checked out at least 15 books and put several on reserve. And of course no graduate work is made complete without doing some write up of some sort. Luckily, it is not too bad. I must pick 5 of these books and write a short summary and evaluation of each. I have 3 done already.
That is all for now. I'll end with these words-"Go read a book!!!"

5 comments:

Martha said...

Look for short write-ups in the blog archives (June 2, 2006, mine and yours) I love kids books. If you need to visit an illustrator ask me and I'll give you a lead.

Wanda said...

Oh I would love to read your summaries and evaluations...

I will go read a book....

The picture is darling...love those rosy cheeks.. and beautiful head of hair.

joeks said...

Ah yes, the Caldecott books! I'd let you borrow my notes (as if you needed them, and as if I could find them!), but they're on the books from before 1980. My oldest girl probably has the current ones though. She's doing her elem. student teaching this semester.
Glad you had such a good, and busy, week with your family!

Priscilla said...

I love some of those older ones too like The Little House, The Snowy Day and Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.

Dunja said...

I agree !!! Nothing better!