Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Junking and Consigning

On Friday I walked downtown with $5 in my back pocket to buy a copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I'm tired of hearing about either the book or the movie every time I turn around and not being a part of the discussion. I decided it was high time to read the book. Well...to my dismay, Judy's Bargain Books was closed! Bummer. I didn't have the dog with me so I decided to poke around in the shops...not really expecting to find anything. I went over to Cuddleback's Antique shop. I love poking around in there. You never know what you'll find. I just love looking at the stuff. I hardly ever buy anything because my budget won't allow it. I think my husband would totally freak out on me if I started bringing home old bird-cages and stuff. He doesn't see things quite the same way as I do. They have a pretty big section of old books. I thought, "Ok...what's the chance of P&P being here?" So I looked...and it was like looking through a haystack for a needle. I found it! It was quite an old copy...no copyright date in it, so who knows. I'm guessing 1940's? It cost $1. I was very happy, walked home and started reading it. I just loved the book! I can't wait to see the movies now.

So yesterday I picked up my lovely middle daughter for a dermatogist appointment. The appt overlapped her lunch time at school, so I allowed her to choose a restaurant and we ate lunch together at Denny's. I hadn't spent this kind of time with her alone in a while. She is quite a character and often reminds me of Ramona Quimbley! While we were eating I decided to not take her back to school, but to go out shopping. Went to a great little consignment shop in Victor. She needed shoes and I found the perfect pair for $4. She was so excited that she wore them to school today. Unfortunately, they had no pants that would fit her and she really needed them. Ended up spending more than I would have liked at Old Navy.

We had fun together...which was so good for us. I've been in a junk shopping mood, if anyone would care to join me.

5 comments:

Martha said...

Junk shopping sounds like fun. Maybe some time after we come back from NM? I'll have to come out there and visit you sometime.

Bethany said...

Don't forget to take me too! I LOVE junk shopping and have always wanted to go "junking" in the shops downtown.

Anonymous said...

I wish there were a really good consignment store near me. There were two good ones that were not too far from Portland. But when I go to the promising one near me here, I never actually find something that fits me and suits what I need.

Rachel said...

I've been wanting to visit some antique stores out there again sometime, but consignment shops are good too!

Priscilla said...

yeah, tracy. Consignment shops are definitely cool. I've been shopping a lot for the kids...but it's time to shop for me soon!