Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Presidential Visit


I knew I had to blog today because President Bush came and visited our town today. He visited an upscale nursing home and made a speech at our local high school. Who'da thought our town would be picked out of all the towns on the map of the USA? Anyway...our town has been quite a buzz for the last several days. Everyone was busy cleaning up the main drags around town and putting signs of welcome out. One business even went through the trouble of "planting" red, white and blue plastic flowers.

I went to my CBS leadership team meeting at the free methodist church...which is located on one of the main roads into town. When I walked in, our fearless leader Blake said, "We're switching rooms to meet in today." Why? Well to meet on the side of the church that faces the road, of course! We had our meetings, with occassional interuptions from someone who would say..."Oh! There goes a state police car!" We'd all anxiously look out the window to see if the motorcade was on it's way. We finished up our meeting and gathered around the windows and waited. Finally after about 15-20 minutes, the motorcade arrived. Several dark official looking vehicles with darkened windows. Several vans and of course security vehicles. We were all so excited!

The kids got home from school. None of them go to the high school, but got to watch the president's speech via close circuit TV in their classrooms. I said, "So, did you see the president? How was it?" Their reactions were typical for their age. "It was boring. He talked about medicare." My littlest one said, "I didn't listen." They were less than impressed I guess.

I got to thinking about all the fuss and preparations made for this great man to come to our town. A day that will be remembered by many for years to come (even if it was of being in a sunday school room at a Free Methodist Church). Every day I have opportunity to have a personal visit with someone greater than George W. And most of the time, I take it for granted and don't spend a lot of time on preparation or even in excitement. My God is an awesome God! I want to have a greater love for Him than I do. One that anticipates my encounters with Him and hangs on his every word. Like Mary, sitting at His feet and listening. Everything else stopped because He was most important to her.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds like an exciting day! Isn't it incredible that we have the awesome privilege of knowing someone so Wonderful?

Rachel said...

It does sound exciting. I did see him on TV today, out in the freezing cold, talking to "J. Mac".