Wednesday, February 18, 2015

God is Near

I am thinking of the Conrow family today. Last week they held their 6 year old daughter as she died from brain cancer. I can only imagine the great sorrow they are feeling. I've been in touch with Amanda's grandfather, who was my high school geometry teacher. He was a wonderful man of God and always encouraged me in my walk with the Lord. He sent me an email this morning with heartfelt words from his daughter, Liz.

I've been broken-hearted before. I've been crushed in spirit. I remember in high school when my brother passed away, I taped a Bible verse on the wall next to my bed...so I would see it as soon as I woke up in the morning. I did the same thing in college during a difficult time.

Psalm 34:18

18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.


I know that God has given me a heart that is able to empathize with others...so in a way, thinking about their sorrow brings back some memories of my own sorrows. I don't want to think only of myself during this time. I don't always know how to transfer my empathy into a proper way of caring for others.

Just pray for this family.  They have buried their little 6 year old daughter this past week. Their arms feel empty and their hearts are broken.

1 comment:

Carina Spring said...

How heartbreaking. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to lose a young child to cancer. My heart goes out to that family. This past January, I lost an aunt to cancer (she was 66), and it was such a hard experience. I am sorry to hear that you lost your brother at a young age, too. That must have been so hard.
It sounds like you have a lot of great supports in place these days, with a loving family. Take care, and thanks for sharing. By the way, thanks for your comment the other day, I enjoyed it and responded.