Saturday, April 21, 2018

Currently...

Reading ... In the Bible I am reading through the book of Numbers with CBS (Community Bible Study). I’m at the end. Moses has just commissioned Joshua as the new leader of the Israelites. It is at the end of his life just before the Israelites enter the promised land. In fiction I am reading Cold Sassy Tree by Olivia Ann Burns. I’m reading it because 2 teachers in my building expressed shock that I hadn’t read that classic yet. So far, I am enjoying it. It’s a nice change from the typical YA book, which I read quite a bit of since I am a librarian in a HS. Non-fiction: Daring to Hope: Finding God’s Goodness in the Broken and Beautiful by Katie Davis Majors.

Playing ... I have not been playing enough lately. That means it is time to schedule another family game night...or to take time to join the Uno game that some students usually break out with after school in the library.

Watching ... I’ve been watching Escape to the Country lately which is a British house hunting show on Netflix. I love the quirky old houses made of stone. I would love to live in one. I love the little villages. It is such a refreshing show to watch compared to the American house hunting shows because it is down to earth. They show very normal down to earth homes of reasonable size and the clients seem genuinely content with the homes rather than looking at massive million dollar homes where the beautiful kitchens “must be updated” or complaining that the large master bedroom is “much too small” or that it doesn’t have a walk-in closet.

Cooking ... Lately I have been cooking more meatless dinners. Probably 2 or 3 a week, loaded with veggies and whole grains. They are surprisingly satisfying. My new favorite is Mexican Zucchini Stir fry. I serve it over a bed of rice, topped with fresh mixed greens, crushed tortilla chips and a dollop of guacamole. Delicious! I do not miss the meat, cheese or sour cream at all. However, last night we had salmon, baked potato and broccoli.

Calling ... I rarely call anyone. However, I just tried to call my husband on his cell phone and then immediately heard it ringing inside of his gym bag in the corner of the kitchen. That means he forgot it. Oops!

Crafting ... I have not been crafting much lately. I did manage to mend the queen sized quilt I made 23 years ago. I cut off the worn out borders and sewed a brand new binding all around it. It still is large enough to fit on our bed. That is a relief since I was concerned that it wouldn’t.

Loving ... sunshine today and warmer temperatures. In the 50s today...still cold for the end of April in NY...but considering that we had snow on the ground yesterday morning, I won’t complain!

Disliking ... that none of my children will be living home this summer (other than a few short weeks). We are truly entering the phase of being empty nesters.

Celebrating ... That each of my children are doing well and are growing up to be fine adults! Praise the Lord!

Feeling ... calm. I am not worried about anything lately. Content and happy.

Listening ... to an airplane flying over the town. I also can hear a few birds singing and a neighborhood dog barking. I am not bothered in the least by the barking dog. Dogs bark.

Wanting ... to take a significant vacation somewhere. I haven’t done much traveling at all and it’s would be nice to go somewhere special just to be able to experience something new and to say that I did.

4 comments:

Martha said...

I'll play too.

joeks said...

What a wonderful update–thanks!
My husband couldn't find his cell phone this morning, so I called it. It was literally less than one foot away from me when it rang!

Ruthie said...

Would you mind if I did this? Mine on't be very good, but I need to get one more post in this month, and this would be a big help. I watched an episode of Escape to the Country the other night and enjoyed it. It's like everything I'd like to get out of traveling, without having to leave my bed and bathroom behind. Perfect. Thank you.

Priscilla said...

I actually got the idea from someone else. I don’t mind if you do it.