Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My school

On Friday I drove out to UB to talk to someone about financial aid and to meet with the department of Library Science chair person. I had great plans to blog about it later that day...but meanwhile my poor son had broken his foot in gym class. Luckily my husband was able to get him from school. Between that event and Audra's birthday...I've hardly had a minute to myself.
Anyway. It took me about an hour and 40 minutes to drive there. I had never seen the campus before. It is nice. I walked around...(mostly inside), ate a lunch at the student union and visited the book store. They have coffee shops all over the place. I was able to enjoy a cup of southern pecan from Fingerlakes Coffee Roasters. Yum. Needed the caffiene for the trip home.
The 2 women I spoke to were very helpful and encouraging. I'm very excited to get started in the program. If all goes according to plan I will start classes during the first summer session, which starts on May 19th. That will mean a commute to Buffalo twice a week for 5 weeks. I'm pretty confident about this because weather shouldn't be a problem that time a year and having done the trip once, I didn't think it was too bad. Then I will take 1 more course during the second summer session for another 5 weeks. I hope to get 9 credits out of 36 under my belt by the end of summer.
I was afraid I would feel out of place there walking around with all of those young 18-20 something students. But it wasn't that way at all. Yeah...most students were young, but I noticed many that looked older. Who knows...maybe some of them were staff. It doesn't matter. I saw so many people from all walks of life and all different cultures. I noticed a high number of Asian students. (I just thought it was interesting.) Just before I left, I visited the book store just for fun. I bought Audra a birthday present. It was a reading lamp that that can clip onto a headboard. She had asked for one because she likes reading in bed. She has to get out of bed and walk across the floor to turn off the light and Alicia complains about the light being on. I think she was happy with the gift! (That wasn't all I got her just in case you think I am such a dull mother)

15 comments:

Shelly said...

How exciting for you!!! I would love to take some more photography courses and maybe some business courses too... But nothing is in the works right now.

Rachel said...

I'm so happy for you! When I was in hygiene school there were several women in the program who were in their late 30's or 40's. You go girl!

Martha said...

I would be the dull one...

Priscilla said...

What do you mean by that, Mart?

Martha said...

I would buy the lamp and call it done.

Bethany said...

I like lamps.

Wanda said...

That sounds like a cool birthday present.

Today my grandson Elijah is 10. Next year, I'll be living close enough to celebrate it with him.

Wanda said...

I just got busted...I called Elijah and he 12 not 11 today!! Where does the time go...???

Rachel said...

If it was something she wanted I probably would've bought the lamp and called it done too.

Tracy said...

Sounds like a really good day. It's exciting that you are getting your orientation to your program.

joeks said...

You HAVE been busy!
Last fall I took a couple of classes to keep my certificate current. There were two ladies over age 65 in one class.

Gudl said...

You are funny (birthday present comment)
It all looks and sounds exciting!
God's speed!!

judi/Gmj said...

I am so excited for you!!! It is a great thing to go back to school and learn something you love so you can pass it on to children. Bravo!!!!!
Hey, tye-dye party woman... how could you be a dull mom? :)

Priscilla said...

Ask my kids!

Heather said...

Wow, Priscilla, you have been so busy. I am so excited for you! It sounds like you have a great plan laid out.

I think we have children that have the same birthday!