Saturday, July 28, 2018

“You better get started”

I have been dabbling a bit in the oils. So far...it feels very clumsy. Of course it does. It’s an entirely new medium. The thing is, I have to admit that I am a little used to immediate success with my art work. I have not felt successful yet. Oils have an entirely different set of rules than acrylics, watercolors, and colored pencils. I’m trying to get a feel for what they do right now.

I completely botched a painting of sunflowers that was just too overwhelming and complicated for me to start with. Luckily I find this tutorial on YouTube. Painting the good old Apple to start with. Of course! Rudimentary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcML3d7umKI

It comes complete with a link to a reference photo. I also found out through this young woman that there is such a thing as canvas paper. Much cheaper to learn on! You can also cut it up into smaller pieces for smaller studies. So I ran out to Michaels to purchase a pad of it. I’m ready to start again...except for it is almost 5:00 and that means I will run out to a party to celebrate the recent marriage of a friend’s daughter. Alas...another day!

1 comment:

joeks said...

That's a start! Glad you found the good tutorial.